Microsoft Security Essentials
Package of security programs that helps protect Windows operating systems
- Category Anti-virus
- Version for Windows Vista/7 22.214.171.124
- Works under Windows 7 / Windows Vista
- Language English
- License Free
- Program by Microsoft
Microsoft Security Essentials is a security package that protects your computer against possible threats, including spyware, malware and viruses.
No matter how careful you think you are when using the web, it only takes one simple mistake for a virus to take over your computer. You might download a program from a dangerous site, accidentally visit a site that hijacks your computer or open an email from a loved one that has a virus inside. Once a virus enters your computer, it will limit what you can do and keep you from doing the things you enjoy. Microsoft Security Essentials does a phenomenal job of protecting you from threats online.
This security package lets you perform three different types of scans. The quick scan will scan the most commonly infected areas of your computer and provide you with results in just a few minutes. With the full scan option, it will scan every file and directory on your computer. It also comes with a customized scan that lets you select which files and areas you want included in that scan. Microsoft Security Essentials even lets you decide when you want those scans to happen to cut down on surprises later.
Even if you lack computer experience, this is still an easy program to use. Its interface lets you click the clearly marked buttons to launch a new scan and to decide on the type of scan you want to run. Though it is a free program, you won't find yourself bombarded with ads like other programs do. Once it finds threats on your computer, the program will let you decide what to do with each one. More advanced users may not like that it won't let them remove entire files, and some may dislike that it lacks more advanced scanning features and settings.
While Microsoft Security Essentials is a little more basic than other security packages, it's great for those who spend a lot of time online but lack security protection. When combined with the security on your web browser, it does an effective job of containing viruses, blocking threats and keeping you from dangerous websites. This is the 64-bit version that will only work with certain versions of Windows. You may need a different version for your computer.
- Comes with three scanning modes, including a quick scan and customized scan
- Easy enough for beginners and computer novices to use
- Allows you to set the type and time of your next scan
- Takes up less space than other security programs
- Lets you customize the default settings
- Lacks the advanced settings and features found on paid security packages
- Only works with Windows 7, Vista and XP
- Suitable for 64-bit systems only
- Does not come with firewall protection
- Cannot clear, clean or save infected files